Pet Friendly Parks
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Dogs are only permitted when staying in your own tent or caravan and not during Peak Holiday periods. No pets are allowed during NSW School Holiday Periods or Long Weekends (with the exception of June Long Weekend & July School Holidays). Please note Port Stephens Treescape and Thou walla Sunset Retreat do not allow pets at any time.
Did you know that Shoal Bay Holiday Park, Fingal Bay Holiday Park and Halifax Holiday Park are dog friendly…… Obviously we don’t want to turn the place into a kennel but we do understand that some of you just can’t bare to leave your best friend at home, others may just shudder at the thought of Fido leaping around the car and dribbling all over the kids…. However you feel, it’s great to know you have a choice. Take a look at our Pet Brochure.
There are certain restrictions that we put in place to preserve the balance for all visitors. Dogs are only permitted at the park when you are staying in your own tent or van, so no matter how well behaved Fido is he won’t be allowed to stay in one of our cabins or villas……I know he can probably picture himself stretched out on the balcony while Mum & Dad enjoy cheese and a wine but I’m sure that Fido will enjoy his tent or van just as much as long as he’s with Mum and Dad!!
If you are wanting to book in with a dog here are the rules to follow that will keep everyone happy.
- Please advise park staff PRIOR to your arrival date if you wish to bring your dog.
- Dogs are only allowed when staying in your own Van or Tent.
- Dogs are NOT permitted in the Park during peak periods - This is due to the large volumes of people and kids that are around the park during this time.
- Dogs are NOT allowed during NSW Holiday Periods (with the exception of July School Holidays).
- Dogs are to be vaccinated, clean and free from fleas.
- Dogs need to have the approval of the Park Manager. – No restricted breeds will be allowed at any time (Pit Bull, American Pit, Japanese Tosa and Argentinian Fighting dog) and no dogs with control orders. Please advise of the breed and size of your dog when making your booking.
- Dogs need to be kept on a lead and under control at all times.
- Dogs are not permitted around the childrens play areas, in the pool area, amenities block or any of the communal areas.
- All doggie dos are the responsibility of the owners and must be cleaned up immediately. Bags are located around the park to assist with this.
- Excessive barking will not be tolerated - Dogs are not to be left unattended in your van or tent at any time.
- If your dog digs a hole please repair it.
- Check our website for information about dog friendly areas near the parks.
Have a great holiday with your dog but please obey the rules or you may be asked to leave the park.
So if your best friend likes to swim in the water, run on the beach and sleep all day I’m sure he or she will have a perfect holiday in one of the Port Stephens Beachside Holiday Parks. If you would like some more information please give one the parks a ring and they will be happy to discuss your options.
*If you have a Registered Assistance, Therapy, Companion or Guide Dog the rules are slightly different so you will need to phone the park directly and discuss your specific needs. All our properties have assisted living cabins that are fitted out to industry specs that will hopefully suit your needs.
Dog Friendly Parks
Port Stephens has numerous parks and reserves where dogs may be exercised on & off-lead. This information can be found at Dog Park Maps and it outlines the areas in each suburb where you may exercise your dogs on/off leash and dog prohibited areas can be found at Dog Park Maps.
Why not book your dog into the local kennels for his own little holiday? You can pick him up and take him with you for the day and return him at night to play with his holiday mates. Day stays are also available.
Local boarding kennels are - Nelson Bay Boarding Kennels (Four Paws) - centrally located on Gan Gan Road in One Mile Beach. Tel: 02 4982 1182
CEJ's Boarding Kennels - Located at 3409 Nelson Bay Road, Bobs Farm (near the Brewery and Wineries). Tel: 4982 6646
Things to note
Need a Ranger? It’s also wise to take note of the various fines that can be issued to dog owners under the NSW local Government.
Port Stephens Council Rangers
Phone: 02 4988 0255 - 24 Hours / 7 Days
Fax: 02 4988 0130
Hopefully you won’t need the services of a local vet but if you do here are some that are close to our parks.
- Salamander Bay Vet - 168 Salamander Way – Salamander Bay – Ph: 4982 7492
- Noah’s Ark Veterinary Services - 13 Yacaaba St, Nelson Bay – Ph: 4981 1033
- Shoal Bay Veterinary Clinic – 121 Shoal Bay Road, Shoal Bay – Ph: 4981 2417
Port Stephens Pet Barn at Salamander Bay has a DIY dog wash facility if your dog needs a hot wash during his stay.